Home invasions and robberies occur every day. Fortunately, it’s easy to improve home security and keep your home protected. Read on to learn three simple security measures.
1. Install Motion Sensor Lights
Motion sensor lights are one of the most effective ways to improve home security. These bright floodlights are installed on the outside of your house and turn on when they sense movement.
Their benefits include:
- They are more cost-effective than running full-time outdoor lights.
- Criminals are often scared away when the lights suddenly turn on.
- These lights pair well with outdoor motion sensor cameras. When the lights are triggered by motion, so are the cameras.
- They add a simple but effective extra layer of protection to your current security system.
Installation can be done as a DIY project or by a professional. Motion sensor lights are a great option for boosting your home security.
2. Upgrade Your Lock System to Improve Home Security
It’s easy to improve home security by upgrading your locks. Here are some ideas:
- Replace your current lock system with more secure lock styles.
- Make sure that all screws, bolts, and other small lock parts are tightly secured.
- Install door chains and deadbolts on doors that don’t have them.
- Invest in a smart lock system for maximum protection.
3. Don’t Advertise Absences
When you go on vacation or take a weekend trip, don’t leave signs that your home is empty. The scenarios below are some simple steps you can take.
- Ask a neighbor or friend to check your mail. A full mailbox indicates an empty residence.
- Don’t post about your vacation on public social media. This broadcasts the fact that your house is empty.
- Ask a neighbor to set your trash bin on the curb. If your bin isn’t out on a designated trash pickup day, it’s a sign that you may not be home.
These may seem like small measures, but they can improve home security. Keep these tips in mind next time you’ll be out of town.
Are There Other Ways to Improve Home Security?
There are many more cost-effective and proven ways to improve home security. Brainstorm ideas by asking yourself a few questions like the ones below:
- Are there any weak entry points in my home (loose hinges, broken window locks, etc.)?
- Does my yard have places for burglars to hide?
- How much can I afford to spend on home security?
By asking yourself these questions, you’ll come up with more home security ideas suited to fit your unique needs.